Top 10 from 2013
2013 has been a fantastic year for food. I had the opportunity to eat at some incredible places throughout the world. Here are my Top 10 in no particular order. These chef’s and food enthusiast have succeeded in exciting, satisfying and doing a damn good job. We need more establishments like these – quality ingredients prepared well. Happy New Year and enjoy!
1) Maha – Middle Eastern Cuisine in the heart of Melbourne’s CBD. Well thought out food, exotic flavours and professional service.
2) N2 Extreme Gelato located in Fitzroy, Melbourne, Australia. By far the best gelato I’ve ever tasted.
3) Seoul’s South Korean Markets
4) Alpha Ouzeri – Greek Cuisine on Fitzroy’s trendy Brunswick Street.
5) Maedaya Sake & Grill – Japanese Cuisine on Bridge Road in Richmond
6) City Wine Shop – Contemporary Australian in Melbourne’s CBD
7) Salt – Seafood by the sea in Port Denarau, Fiji
8) The Grand – Italian food in Richmond, Australia
9) Taste of Melbourne Festival – Melbourne, Australia
10) Fresh Oysters on the scenic Cabot Trail in Cape Breton, NS, Canada
In 2013 gluten free, salted caramel and nose to tail eating all became trendy within the food world. I expect these trends to continue into 2014, but I’d like to see more street food in the Western World, a bigger focus on unknown fish and more frequent use of game and uncommon animal parts in modern cuisine. The world of food is ever-evolving and I look forward to the adventure ahead. Thanks for the support in 2013, it was a good year, but 2014 is only going to get better.